Travel is on the horizon!
Let’s face it. It’s been a long, tough year. Despite recent setbacks, there are plenty of reasons to start thinking about your next trip.
What are the glimmers of hope?
- Access to vaccinations in the US is becoming widespread.
- Access to vaccinations in the US is increasing daily with those aged 16 and up being eligible in many states. While this gives you the coveted “get out of jail free” card, where you are going will impact how free you will feel once you arrive. Be mindful of the limitations that will exist for some time when choosing your destination and means of travel.
- Cruise lines are planning to sail.
- Cruise lines were among the hardest hit by the pandemic as packed ships were easy targets for the virus. You will likely be required to be vaccinated for the near future to board ships, but the good news is they will be sailing as soon as July. Ships will depart from the Caribbean until the CDC approves domestic departures.
- Popular destination spots in Europe are beginning to open.
- While Europe has struggled with another wave of the virus recently, some countries are open or announcing reopening plans. Iceland is already open and Greece set a date for May 14th.
What do I need to do?
- Get vaccinated!
- Proof of vaccination will get you far with respect to travel. Many flights and destinations require either proof of vaccination or a recent negative test, often within 72 hours of travel. Your vaccination card has a bonus effect of getting you into some sporting events and entertainment venues.
- Make sure your passport is up to date if you are traveling internationally.
- For most of us, our passports are probably in a drawer somewhere, long neglected. Dust off your passport and make sure you have six months left before it expires. If you need to renew yours, click here to see if you are eligible to renew by mail. Passport renewal takes about 8 weeks by mail at this time.
- Work with a trusted travel agent!
- Travel agents are constantly being updated by their tour operator partners and the destinations and carriers themselves. They have the most up-to-date information and it changes daily. They will also be able to provide assistance with re-bookings if situations change at your destination.
- Be open to trying something new!
- While you may be a frequent cruiser or international traveler, consider all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean where many have strict protocols in place to keep you safe. Want to skip the flight? There are many wonderful opportunities close to home like the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC and the Sagamore Resort on Lake George in the Adirondacks of NY.
Whatever your travel plans are, stay safe and enjoy!
Click here to sign up for our newsletter to keep up to date with all the latest as travel prepares to take off!